2012-02-04 - AlexB's Arda is now public! Better hires and more!
AlexB has just released his Arda project which perfects ra95-hires in every possible way and fixes more bugs.
It was fun, thanks to everyone for your continued interest in ra95-hires!
Note: Do not use Arda 0.1 in CnCNet! It will cause "out of sync" problems with players who don't run Arda.
2011-08-23 - Project officially abandoned in favor of 3.04
My work on the ra95-hires helped Hyper to finally add actual hires support to upcoming 3.04 so this project is now officially abandoned. Expect no releases until Hyper does. I will make a news post here when 3.04 with hires is available!
2011-07-23 - WHY Y U NO RELEASE!?
Been busy with other things, the actual game runs fine and everything else is purely cosmetical. Most of the position issues are already solved and the rest is just reading a lot of code and doing lot of trial and error. Will make a release "soon", honest!
2011-06-18 - U got freezing?
If you are NOT using cnc-ddraw, remember to set the compatibility settings for the launcher too (ra95-hires-whatever.exe) so that the game doesn't freeze on multi core CPU.
The freezing itself is not because of the high res patch, just that the launcher needs the compatibility settings and not the game exe.
2011-06-16 - Alpha 2 released!
Fixes the scrolling bug, though it behaves a bit oddly in widescreen, need some adjustment.
The source is also now available.
2011-06-14 - Hyper lives!
Hyper started work towards fixing some of the bugs listed on this page. Stay VERY tuned! (apparently not)
According to some sources, the source code for Red Alert would've been used to make this patch. I'm clearing this up: NO, there was no source release. All that was used was OllyDbg (a great debugger, works on Wine too!) and Hyper's RA function/method database he gathered from some slipped debug release (2.00 or something).
2011-06-12 - Happy birthday... to me!
Yay, my 22th birthday! What a great occasion to release the high resolution patch for RA. Took me around 1,5 days to make it work well. Now go play!
ra95-hires is a launcher for Red Alert 3.03+ which enables custom high resolutions. I would recommend cnc-ddraw but it has the perky cursor bug so I won't.
Also: Hi, I'm hifi. I made this. I can be found from the CnCNet IRC channel or contacted by mail (address at the bottom of this page). Comments and suggestions welcome.
Note: This project is still a work in progress! It might crash or do other undesirable things at the moment. Also it will NEVER be perfect!
Known bugs, bold = major (actually looks crap):
- after a game the outside area of 640x400 in the menu is a shadow of your last game frame (unreleased)
- map download dialog is not centered but the progress bar is, height is screwed in both
- surrender popup is positioned wrong (centered relative to 640x400) (unreleased)
- the cursor still think you are in 640x400 when you touch a side to scroll
- the cursor image is not restored to pointer when on the black area under the build menu
- save and load mission dialogs are positioned wrong (centered relative to 640x400) (unreleased)
- sound controls dialog is positioned wrong (centered relative to 640x400) (unreleased)
- the palette remap image is shown before main menu is drawn (unreleased)
- visual controls dialog is positioned wrong (centered relative to 640x400)
- if you re-enter mission briefing from a mission it has the same clearing bug as the main menu after a game (unreleased)
- mission accomplished / failed texts are positioned wrong
- all cutscenes are in the top left corner
- intro sequence video is in the top left corner
- save games are not compatible between resolutions, unless Hyper works something out for 3.04, not going to be fixed (Nyerguds has informed of a possible simple fix)
- all menus are in the upper left corner in original 640x400 (centering all of them, most are already done)
- many pre-game scenes have a background that is not scaled but some other elements are centered like they should be like briefing and map downloading (centering all of them, briefing is done)
Known bugs that are less likely to be fixed:
- if the map is smaller than your resolution there will be graphical glitches outside the map area, hit ESC twice to redraw the map as correctly as the game can
- the Internet menu is displaced, as it is rarely used because of CnCNet and such services that work with the Network menu it is not worth the trouble to fix
- the game is a few pixels short depending on resolution, this is because the game area needs to be a multiple of 24 pixels (a tile), it is rounded to the closest one
- fix some misc position problems with in-game menus, will be released together when ready
- center videos
- (still try to conquer the world)
Red Alert @ 1280x720 (the screenshot does not represent my playing skills, lol)
A video recorded by Tore of Red Alert game in CnCNet @ 1280x720
The launcher defaults to 1024x768 and accepts two parameters, -w and -h. Now your job is to figure out how they work.
My affiliate, the Command & Conquer Communications Center has a community forum which is a great place to meet new people, arrange games and get help with anything C&C, RA, cnc-ddraw or the high resolution patch related! There is also the CnCNet IRC channel for those who like to chat.